Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Voices In My Head

Voice 1: I have to go to sleep, tomorrow is my one day of classes and I still need to finish one book and read an article for Theory. And we have that extra seminar, so sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep.
Voice 2: Yeah yeah, but what about the damp in my room? And where will I move what piece of furniture to and what if the damp never goes away and what if they won't give me a de-humidifier and what if I die of damp and what if I will never be able to sleep ever again because of my worrying, and also, I am pretty sure my period is starting so I will feel crappy anyways tomorrow so is it really worth sleeping at all?
Voice 1: Yes. Yes it is. Go to sleep. Get some rest. All will be okay, and if not, I can worry about it Thursday, when I actually have time to worry. Calm down and go to sleep.
Voice 3: Yeah, and get off the computer, idiot!!! That's not going to help the whole getting to sleep thing!
Voice 2: But... the worrying won't stop! It is never going to stop ever again, and I can't think of any nice stories to distract myself.
Voice 1: I worry too much.
Voice 2: I know, but I can't stop!
Voice 3: I could be practical about it and STOP WRITING THIS DAMN POST AND GO BACK TO BED!
Voice 2: What's the fun in that? Anyways, I would just worry some more.
Voice 1: Go. To. Sleep.
Voice 2: I. Can't. Stop. Worrying.
Voice 3: Get. Off. The. Damn. Computer.
Voice 4: Can everyone just SHUT UP so I can go to sleep???????!!!!!!!

3 comments:

spirito said...

technically I don't really have conversations as much as parts of my thesis running through my head while I try to fall asleep.

Most of it seems quite good, but obviously when you try to write it down its gone.

Queen Mushroom said...

ah yes, academics. they form part of my life, in some way, I'm sure....
Good luck with the thesis!

Cybbis said...

Well I mostly just fantazise being congratulated for an outstanding achievement at work etc. And rest of the time I am trying to tell me to stop being so stupid.