Saturday, December 09, 2006

Procrastinators Anonymous

Hello, my name is Merel and I am a Procrastinator.
I got a heap of books out of the library today that I know I will never be able to read, and as most of them are biographies of Andersen rather than critical texts about his work, they are not much use anyways. I have four days to write my 2500-3000 word essay for Myth and Folktale, and after last week's class, which was taken by the course convener, showed me how little we've learnt this term in Myth and Folktale, I feel less than confident. I mean, I know I can write an essay in four days and the essay might even be reasonably good (after all, this is quite a normal amount of time for me to do an essay in), but really, we've learnt next to nothing. Whereas the other module tutors have forced us to think about the texts we've read, have given us good guidance in our thinking and actually taught (I know, revolutionary, isn't it?), our Myth and Folktale tutor, who set up this MA and used to be convener, has not. We've had presentations by students and very little discussion was ever done, and I feel quite pissed because I was looking forward to this module most of all. Especially as none of the other extra modules are actually ones I opted to do.
So not only do I wish that I had picked up some of these books about four weeks ago, something I wish every time I start an essay, I also wish I would have had a good tutor for this course so I knew what to actually write about. I mean, I know I am writing about The Little Mermaid and the idea that fairy tales make the complexities of life simpler and more reassuring (hah. I do NOT agree with that), but I have no idea how it will all work out.
Ah well, I will just start writing sometime in the next few days and see what happens. (Or, in reality, I will be reading criticism all day today and tomorrow, then making an essay plan tomorrow night and writing my essay Monday and Tuesday, with a small break on Monday for a hairdresser's appointment and lunch with a friend.)
Now that you have read this post, which took me about 15 minutes to write, can you see how good I am at this procrastinating lark? Mwuhahahahaaa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, this dude wrote more than one autobiography? What a self-centred bum. Also, sux 4 u!

Queen Mushroom said...

damn, that's supposed to be BIOgraphies!!