Saturday, April 21, 2007

Depression Diva

It is half past five in the morning and I am awake. Or rather, I can't fall back asleep. I woke up to go to the toilet and can't fall back asleep because all of a sudden I realised how I have let my depression take over from me. My room is a complete mess, I haven't been talking to people properly or at all, and I just don't care about anything anymore. I don't feel particularly down, or, at least, not more down than I have for the last few months, but I think I have just realised how my depression is making life impossible for me. I want out. Not of life, but of the life I am leading right now. I can't be alone this much, away from everyone I care about, on my own for most of the time.
I have had the same solution offered by both my parents (who, by the way, I haven't talked to in ages, because apparently the way to deal with loneliness is enforce more on myself): to come home and 'get better' without the stress of my MA. First of all, I think that 'getting better' as such should be based on a permanent change in my life (such as a full time job, and being closer to my friends, and preferably my family), a situation in which I know I can be happy on my own, but see enough people on a structured day-to-day basis that I don't go insane. Secondly, living with my parents, no matter how much I love them and enjoy spending time with them, would drive me insane. I know I can be my own boss, I do not want to go back to being under my parents' rule, I don't particularly like feeling like a guest in what is supposed to be my home (with either parent) and really, I need to be able to solve my problems without knowing the situation I feel better in will change soon.
Right now, I think that might be my problem: my insecurity. About the future mainly, but also about myself, what my friends and family think of me, and whether I will ever be able to find that one person to make me truly happy. (In the light of being completely honest, I don't think I am lesbian, but I might as well keep all my options open; who knows, and my perfect match is most likely completely different from what I imagine anyways.)
So, having slightly lost the thread of what I was going to say, I need to make sure I say this: I need help. Big time. I have no idea what to do. Doing this MA isn't making me happy although I love the material, staying with either parents won't make me happy (sorry mama), and I need a long-term solution to my problems. I feel like a failure, and I don't see a way out but to be miserable until September and that's not the answer.
I know I need to make a choice about my life myself, but I have no idea what the choices are. I don't know where to go and what to do and I need your help. Do I stay and finish the MA, which has good material and teaching but few hours and will probably drive me insane? Do I go to either of my parents to 'get better', which would solve the problem of loneliness but would also drive me insane? Do I move to be closer to at least one of my close friends and find a job there? Do I go back to Holland and find a job there, which would mean missing all my friends in the UK and having to find a sort-of comfortable space in society all over again?
All I am asking for is help. I don't want you guys to lead my life for me, but please help me lead mine. I am out of ideas.

1 comment:

unquantified said...

i googled "tidy my room" and found your blog and read a few posts. like it! you talk a lot. i think i am don-wanno-talk-o-maniac. sorry can't suggest anything now. except, perhaps, jump in the water, that is, just live. fear not. how come you're in Ravenclaw? (not that i am not, nor am). guess i didn't like to talk much!