Thursday, January 25, 2007

Weirded Out

I signed up for student tutoring (at primary school level) today, and I am disturbed.
I need to do a police check next week, which isn't too unexpected, but I do think that in the UK, people have gone paedophileangst-mad. The reason I think this is because I was told today that while helping the children with whatever work they will be doing, I am not allowed to touch them. AT ALL.
I understand that as a parent, you are anxious about your child's safety and you never ever want them to fall into the hands of someone who might want more than just to be their teacher or friend, but surely this is taking it to the other extreme? The lady I spoke to today told me one girl was sacked (can volunteers be sacked?) because one of the girls in the class asked her to take a picture of her on her mobile and she did. Seriously, that was the whole story.
So now, I am worried that once I get through my police check-up and actually get a placement in a school, I will be way too worried about not touching children to actually be a good tutor. Basically, you can just about sit next to someone, but no more. How on earth is that supposed to work?
I love children and am really looking forward to working with them, but this is just plain weird.

2 comments:

Miss B said...

Wow, ok thats a tad extreme. yeah its perfectly normal to have to do a CRB check if youre going to be near children (i had to have one for when i worked in the library) but not allowed to touch the children? Is that cause you are an unqualified helper? Are teachers allowed to touch the kids... what if they fall over or get stuck in something?
This country has gone totally paedophile mad. Its so stupid... Im pretty sure they existed when i was a kid (hence why we were told to never take sweets from strangers), but nowadays everyone seems to think that paedophiles are lurking around every corner like the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (still scares me). Yet these same parents that are so hyped up about scary men (and now women apparently)that they will attack paedeotricians 'cause it sounds similar (really happened,) seem perfectly willing to allow their young daughters to parade around in high heels and playboy bunny cropped tops! Maybe if we didnt encourage children to grow up so fast we wouldnt have as much of a problem, and people like you would actually be allowed near a child.


Sorry for that HUUUGE comment, but these things really piss me off. GRRRRR - you have unleashed the beast in Lizzy!

-x-


P.S. Got your text, dont worry, I've ordered the play off amazon, but thanks for the offer.

Queen Mushroom said...

I think it is because I am a helper, if anything (fight between kids, accident, kid stuck in something) happens, I have to call the teacher.
And yes, it is a strange juxtaposition of making kids grow up quickly and making them stay young, i agree.