Friday, March 31, 2006

Patience

I have yet again realised today that I have no patience. My birthday is in three days, or 2.5 if you want to be precise, and although I have no real 'yay!! it's my birthday!!' feelings, I am going home which is the best present of all. (That's not just a cheesy line, you know, the ticket home is actually a birthday present) But today I got a small parcel from my grandparents which was obviously a present, and thus not to be opened until Monday, but I opened it anyway... Which just proofs how amazingly bad I am at pretending to be grown-up.
The present is really nice, and the message on the card is really nice, but I feel a bit like a cheating failure for opening the parcel.. I mean, I am turning 22 and I've lived independently now for almost three years, surely I can wait for a measly weekend to open my present? I am the same with Sinterklaas (or Christmas if you want to be English) presents that my family sends. I either have to hide them from myself and assert a lot of self control, or I open them as soon as I get them, which, in my family, Sinterklaas purists that we are, is frowned upon. So I always lie and say I opened my presents on the exact day they were meant for, which means that when I actually do open them on the right day I can't brag about it because my family think I do that anyway.
Okay, this post is as incoherent as I can possibly be, also because I am trying to temporise (ha!) tidying up my room, which I was going to do today, to prepare for when I move out in June. I have, however, decided I am going to read some Shakey instead, which is better for my exam results, and who really cares whether my room is dusted when I get a 2:1 for my degree?
Funny, isn't it? When I want to open presents, I have no patience, but when I need to do cleaning or uni work I have bucketfuls of it...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!
Im totally with you on the presents thing, theres no way i would have the will power not to open something if the responsibility was left up to me. I need people to keep things away from me.
Your card and present from me (dont get too excited, im skint so ive made you a little something) may arrive a few days after your birthday im afraid cause im terrible when it comes to posting things. I always forget about the whole no post on a sunday thing. But then again that probably wont matter seeing as you wont even be in the country... so forget i said that.
Have a nice time at home
And well done you for reading old Shakey... im trying to forget i have to revise him. Im hoping if i close my eyes and stick my fingers in my ears going "LALALALALALALA" it might all go away

Lizzy
-x-

Anonymous said...

I have posted your birthday package! Only two days late, thats good going for me!

L
-x-

Anonymous said...

maybe you should start seeing opening presents as a chore - tell yourself you HAVE to open them the day they arrive. then they'd be very much like exams and coursework. :P