Saturday, March 04, 2006

The Internet

As no one has probably noticed, as no one reads this blog, I haven't posted anything in a long while. I kept thinking about it, but I never did, and I have only just found out why: I. Hate. Computers. This makes me sound like a geriatric, so I think I should explain.
Computers, in the world of Merel, are evil machines made to take over the world with humans as willing helpers. This is why they never do what you actually want then to do, and randomly do things you really don't want them to do. Unfortunately, my department requires everyone to hand in their essays in a very particular format, and this means I can no longer hand write all my essays, like I used to do in secondary school in Amsterdam.
Ah, the days of yore, when pens actually ran out of ink because they were used, and when people would still frantically search for pens when given a phone number. Now, everyone else seems to just use their mobiles for everything, and I feel hopelessly old-fashioned when someone wants to give me their number (no, never a cute guy, mostly slowly accumulated girl friends) and I look for a pen rather than my mobile. And no, I don't have a contract phone, or even a slightly cool looking one. I have a £20 pound Nokia on Tesco Mobile pay as you go. The only slightly redeeming feature is Snake II, which I hardly ever play.
But anyways, back to computers!! Last summer, as you can read in the post called 'Laptop' (very original, I know), I bought a laptop which has been both a source of joy and pain for me. The internet was working fine, until, all of a sudden, it would only do hotmail and msn, and even that badly!! So I phoned the IT service desk run by my uni, and after doing absolutely nothing to help the guy said he couldn't think of anything else so he hung up. I had to write an essay, so I didn't phone again until last wednesday, when I got the most bastardish guy EVER! I usually explain to people I know almost nothing about computers so they don't confuse me with their instructions. This guy eventually made me tell the computer to automatically detect DNS server, which shut down the internet completely. Lovely. When I told him this he said well, you can come in and we'll look at it if you pay us £26. HA!! I dont think SO!
I asked him if he could just tell me the numbers I had put in for the DNS server again so at least some of the net would work, and he said I shouldn't do that cos it would only be a plaster and wouldn't cure anything. Then, he said, 'well, you've just told me you know very little about computers, so I am not going to explain it all to you'. Whadda bitch. Turned out he was wrong as well, when my housemate (ex-boyfriend, but he has his uses!) fixed the internet by setting the DNS server to the right numbers. HA! So now I am going to file a complaint, which is what I do best.
Conclusion: maybe I don't hate computers so much as the people who know about them and think you are a moron just because you need their help.
Moaning session over!!

No comments: