Friday, March 24, 2006

Middleton and Incest

Don't worry, this isn't going to be a hugely depressing post: it is just a way for me to procrastinate a little bit. Well, it isn't really procrastinating as I am also thinking about my essay at the same time. I now have about 1680 words, which is over half by a tiny little bit, so sort of okay. I wanna have 2000 when I go to bed tonight, but I am going so slooooooooooww....
So, I am going to tell you what my essay is about instead. It is about a play in which lots of people have, ehm, can't come up with the word. It's not illegal, but, ehm, adulterous! Okay, so lots of people have adulterous sex, and one couple even has incestious sex.... But the thing that confuses me is that although the girl is initally freaked out by her uncle coming on to her (I say, good on her, really), after his sister (her aunt) has told her that he isn't actually her uncle because her mother also had an affair (which is a big fat lie), she is okay with it and tells him so. Now he, far from being thoroughly confused and weirded out, agrees to have sex with her without knowing she thinks she's not actually related to him... I think that is weird, and altho the play is called 'Women Beware Women', I think it should be called 'Women beware scary lecherous uncles and their sisters'. But I guess that would be less catchy. And also hard to say in one breath.
So, I will leave you kids to ponder on this higly interesting piece of news (if you are willing to stretch the meanings of both 'interesting' and 'news'), while I go and ponder on my essay some more.

7 comments:

spirito said...

what is your thing with the word procrastinate?

Queen Mushroom said...

it's a good word. full stop. also, it's the only word I know that means procrastinate. Although with the help of my trusty thesaurus, I will take care to use different words from now on. Happy now?

Anonymous said...

Ah renaissance drama, you've gotta love it! (except when you have an essay to write on it of course)
which title are you doing? and what is your argument going to be? im sure youve told me but i forget the details... memory like a goldfish! Im interested cause its one of the plays i havent read and payed little attention to. God bless the RSC for at least providing me with a working knowledge of it. At least your essay has incest in it, mine had people having limbs lopped off!

Hope you reach your 2000 words tonight

Lizzy
-x-

PS dictionary.com gives 'Shilly-shally' as a synomym for procrastinate... now thats a phrase that doesnt get said enough these days

Anonymous said...

Oh, and on the whole need a word to describe the sex theyre having, im going to throw in my suggestion of 'illicit'

L
-x-

Queen Mushroom said...

cool. you're a very nice lady! I am doing the question that talks about sex being all to do with reality and drabness, and seduction all with fantasy and romance, but I am basically disagreeing with it, cos sex and seduction are completely wound up in the world of commerce which all the characters take an active part in, whether they want to or not.
Cool, thats sounds reasonably intelligent!!!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, sounds good

L
-x-

spirito said...

Id go with shilly-shally if I were you (although it will most likely give you the gay edge once again, but I shall survive)