Monday, October 02, 2006

The Worst Thing About Having To Stand In A Queue For 45 Minutes To Pick Up My Library Card

Was the guy standing in front of me, who insisted on trying to talk to me about really dull things. The topics discussed include (but are not limited to):
- The University he did his undergraduate degree at in London
- The multiple times he applied at Warwick but was rejected (obviously through no fault of his own)
- What on earth I could do with a degree in Children's Literature
- The correct pronounciation of Dutch footballers' names
- Football (after I told him I do not like football)
- How he did 5 A-levels and was obviously very smart
- The exact description/origin of his accent
I wouldn't have minded having a boring conversation with him too much, but he obviously didn't enjoy the conversation either as he kept looking around for more interesting people to talk to (which is hard when you're in a queue - you're kinda limited to two people and the guy in front of him was talking with the friend he was queuing with), and at some points stood with his back towards me while I was still finishing a sentence. I have no idea why he insisted, as we were both so obviously not enjoying talking to each other, and I was even on the phone writing a text to prevent him from talking to me (he had been on the phone himself for quite a while and I was hoping it would last all of the queue), but he kept going on and on... Sigh. At least he does something with economics or finance, so I will never have to see him again!
In the better part of my day I became a member of the Reading Film Theatre (President: Kenneth Branagh) and got home insurance (for much less than I thought it would be) that also covers any accidental damage in my room and for my laptop wherever I take it. So, as of today, I can spill coffee on my books, sit on my glasses, leave my laptop on the bus, and leave the door open but still claim anything stolen on my insurance! Hooray for me and fuck the rest (I am afraid only my mum will get that)
I also just managed to get the neighbour to turn down his music so the excruciatingly annoying thumping has stopped. Let's just hope he remembers and I don't have to remind him daily...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

some people really cant take a hint can they?

-X-

Queen Mushroom said...

haha. no!

Anonymous said...

merel! mn reputasie! hooray for ME, and not for you!