Tuesday, June 06, 2006

My Hair, And A Rant About The Bursary People

Yesterday I had a really fun day: me and my friend Leni were going to do some packing and clean her bathroom because it was PINK, but as she really hated the way her hair had turned out (highlighter pink not being the colour she wanted for her hair) we went shopping for temporary dyes (spelling?) instead. We decided to try and dye my hair as well, choosing a slightly reddish colour that wouldn't stay in too long.
Now, I have dyed my hair using natural henna many many times, and all of these times, no matter how long I let the henna work on my hair, I would end up with the same colour hair as before, except my hair would have a slight red glow to it, if you knew about it. As we were using chemical dye this time, I thought that maybe it would actually change my hair colour, especially as we used two packs and let it in a bit longer than the recommended 5 minutes.
But it didn't. My hair is ever so slightly darker, and even I find it hard to spot any redness.... I think maybe I have to accept the fact that my hair is stubborn and will never allow me to change its colour. But, I had a fun day and Leni's hair is now a nicer pink, and I am sure her new dyes will come in soon so she can achieve the red she actually wants!
In other news, I got two emails from my new bursary woman today. One had a very promising title, and included a form to send off in which I could claim more bursary money for next year. However, the next one had only one sentence:
[said bursary woman] would like to cancel the previous.
WHAT????????????? So, I phoned up the bursary people, and the man on the phone said she wasn't there and I should phone tomorrow or send her an email, and when I asked her whether maybe I could ask for his help, he snapped at me: 'Well, no, obviously, because I don't know anything about these emails and you should phone her tomorrow!!!'
He really upset me; all I wanted was to ask him whether maybe he could try to explain some things to me, but he wasn't even willing to listen to me for a little bit.... So I sent an email back to the woman and got back an email straight away (never a good sign) saying she was on holiday and would be back on the 19 of June!!!! That's not TOMORROW!!!!!! And also, it said urgent things would be dealt with by someone else, so maybe the man could have transferred me to that person? But no, I think I am going to have to deal with the fact that the people who give me free money (which I am very happy with) are not willing to also give me free good manners.
At least I will get my money for the summer, which means I will be able to buy all the birthday presents I haven't had money for lately, and maybe not feel like a poor bum for once...
The evil man inspired me to phone the University of Reading, though, and this lady was really nice to me and said everyone would be enrolled provisionally, and then when the marks come out they will sort it out... Hmm, not sure how that will work but it works for me! Also, she said I should send in my last marks, accompanied by a letter from one of my lecturers if the marks do not represent my usual level of achievement.
Conclusions of this post:
My hair will probably never allow me to change its colour
The Dutch bursary people are both confusing, mean and disorganised
The Postgraduate Admissions people at Reading are nice

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

england: 1
holland: 0

told you being here was better. :P

i assume, therefore, that your package has yet to arrive? my hair dye still isnt here either. SIGH.

got that missing friends dvd on ebay for £2.50 though, so i'm happy enough.

PS still BORED.

Anonymous said...

Ok the postgraduate people at reading sound so much nicer than the postgraduate people at warwick who just fobbed me off with a very short email that told me nothing! *irritated sigh*
I saw Leni's new icon of her hair on her msn and i thought it looked great (although it kind of looks red to me not pink so maybe the colour changed a bit on the photo) When i had my hair in spikes i always wanted to dye it scarlet but it would need to be bleached first to work properly and i just couldnt do that to my hair so its henna all the way for me. I've never had a problem with it, i use the big blocks of pure henna from lush (best shop in the world). That's weird that even chemical dye doesnt work on your hair. You would probably have to bleach it and then have a semi permanant colour over the top to really notice a difference and thats a bog pile of hassle. I think your hair is a just a rebel that likes to play by its own rules!
Youre going to be better off than me next year! My student loan will stop once i graduate (apparantly postgraduate students dont deserve a loan unless they are becoming teachers) so im going to be living in a slightly extended overdraft with absolutely no income. remind me why im doing this MA again instead of getting a job that will earn me money!

Lizzy
-x-


PS. You didnt say happy birthday to me in your blog! Im going to go cry now *sniff* :oP

Anonymous said...

I am very happy to be updated again on the nuffic front (zo zeg je dat niet int engels denkik?).
My wise advice on the hairdying problem: wait until your hair turns grey and then dye it pink/red/oceangreen or whatever. Don´t bleach it, that is the advice they gave me, but i heard that can really burn the skin of your head. Listen to mummy!

Queen Mushroom said...

heh. this is a lot of reactions to cope with!!
Leni: no, still no parcel for me.. altho Emma did notice the colour, and even GARY did (after I asked) and I am liking it more, so all is good. Awesome for the dvd! now the series is complete...
Wench: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I was going to, but had nothing else to say and didn't want to make Boris jealous... I love you tho, and I will get you an awesome present! The idea of bleach really does not appeal at all. So happy the strike is over so we can graduate properly!
Mama: Will do. I just don't know whether having oceangreen hair will ever appeal...

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, ill let you off.
im totally with you on the bleach thing, theres no way i could ever do that to my head. At least people are starting to notice it, my henna always continues darkening/reddening for hours after ive washed it out, so myabe chemical dye is the same.
yes,very very glad ye olde strike is off and the uni website reckons we'll get our results as normal, which is good. I still would have liked my essays back BEFORE my exams but o h well, never mind
By the way... i would TOTALLY dye my hair ocean green if i had the chance... or maybe electric blue

Ill look forward to judging your hair soon

-x-

Anonymous said...

oh by the way... your text about x men 3 last night... was that "yum" for wolverine or beast? :oP

Queen Mushroom said...

ehm... both? (although Beast of course has a special place in my heart...)
I also quite liked the guy who played angelboy, lemme just check on IMDB that that is not wrong. Wahey, he's 26 so I'm fine!
I would have fake oceangreen hair, but I don't think it would suit me, so actually dyeing my hair green would be too much.